Tuesday, 24 March 2015

10 EBSU students hospitalized after abacha meal

ABAKALIKI—No fewer than 10 students of Ebonyi State University, EBSU, Abakaliki, were last weekend hospitalized at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki, FETHA, after eating African salad, popularly known as abacha.

The students, studying at the College of Agricultural Science, CAS campus of the university, were rushed to the hospital when their health condition started deteriorating as it was gathered that the delicacy was infected with cholera-causing bacteria.

Confirming the incident, the Director of Rural Health, Ministry of Health, Dr. Christian Achi, said the food was infected from the activities of flies within the environment.

He said: “This is a case of cholera; the food they ate was already infected, following the activities of flies that go around perching on food items and dirty substances.

“I want to urge the people of the state to cook and eat in their homes; they should not expose their food and cooking utensils to flies. They should maintain hygiene and avoid dirty environment.”

Source: Vanguard New

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...